Friday, December 31, 2010

Chaos Renegades All Comers?

Ok so as I discuss the Air Cav list with other players, the most common opinion is that it is lacking in the things that make IG a good army. I agree, in general, but still need to have something to work toward in order to sustain my motivation...so here is what I think makes for a good "all comers" IG list:

Company Command Squad w/4 meltas
Company Commander w/PW

Infantry Platoon
Platoon Command w/4 meltas
5 x Infantry Squad w/sniper rifle
3 x Heavy Weapons Squad w/3 autocannons
2 x Special Weapons Squad w/3 meltas

Veteran Squad w/demolitions, 3 meltas

Vendetta w/heavy bolters (vets)

Vendetta w/heavy bolters (special weapons)

Vendetta w/heavy bolters (special weapons)

Hydra

Hydra

Total: 1500 points

No vehicle squadrons, plenty of AT and plenty of anti-personnel. Most likely combine a couple of the infantry squads in objective based games and combine them all in kill point games.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a sniper rifle in standard infantry squads. The second greatest thing that could happen to 10 guardsmen would be to put a unit "to ground" during the shooting phase...first being to wipe that unit out with no need to put them to ground. I know...w/a single BS3 shot...the likelihood is not there...but within the Imperial Guard, one must rely on the will of the Emperor to guide when it is necessary...besides, if one reads the IG Uplifting Primer...even our most feared enemies are not that tough...and none are likely to present much opposition. :)

As always, input is requested, comment is welcome and criticism will be taken under advisement.

6 comments:

  1. Sniper rifles can make for fun moments (Pinning that marine unit about to slaughter you, knocking that last wound off of a wraithlord, etc) and Vraksian snipers would look pretty cool.

    I'd consider grenade launchers as an option too, if you're looking for firepower that doesn't ignore saves. ;-) Shorter range, but can move and fire 24, able to go for blast, and krak round works just as well against T6 gribblies like Nid MCs as the sniper rifle does, and works better against light vehicles.

    However, if you want the infantry squads to sit around and shoot, you may want to consider dropping one autocannon squad and dispersing weapons among the squads. Dropping one 3xautocannon squad would enable you to equip all 5 inf squads with missile launchers, or all 5 with autocannons and save points, or if drop the sniper rifles too, could give all 5 lascannons.

    If the platoon is in infantry gunline mode, I'd also consider swapping one melta in the Company HQ for a Regimental Standard for the re-roll bubble. The loss of one melta, esp from a BS4 squad, esp as the officer can issue bring it down/fire on my target to his own squad if needed, should be minimal compared to the morale benefits.

    IMO, YMMV etc of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm new to guard, but I'd worry about your lack of indirect fire, and your inability to hit targets behind cover. You have tons of meltas, but no mortars, basilisks or manticores. Your Vendettas give you plenty of manueverability, but some sort of artillery might be a welcome addition. Not sure if your gaming tables would give enough reason to need it, but its my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the commentary. I will definitely add a manticore/basalisk or two when I play 2k or more. I am hoping that the 3 Vendettas full of meltas will give me the ability to bring decent fire when dropped near targets in/behind cover. In addition, the lack of indirect fire does not bother me as much as most army lack that ability almost entirely.

    Again, all input will be taken under consideration...the standard bearer is a very good idea for gun line guard. Not sure if I will move the heavy weapons or not...gotta think on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you have some of the enforcer models. I have wanted to see someone field them since I saw the sculpts.
    Which power weapon have you chosen to model onto your commander? Playing Renegades should give you some really mean looking options.
    Do you have enough chaos icons that you can model some onto the Vendettas/Valkyries, or are you just going to paint them on? The Vraks books really made traitor paint schemes look awesome. Have you also decided to put chaos emblems onto some of your older IG models?
    I am glad you decided to collect this army. It will give you something not commonly seen in this area, something you can model and modify, and something you can build competitively. Good choice, amigo.
    -Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  5. My apologies to you for not responding sooner. I will actually not be doing renegades. Was not at all happy with the aggravation level. The 3 point attachment of the arms is atrocious. Lot of green stuff and filing required. Not my style at all. My most recent blog post explains my plans. How are you, Bud?

    ReplyDelete




  6. Thankyou for the valuable information.iam very impressed with this one.
    Please do find the below attachment and kindly download latest mod apk form our website for free.

    live tv net
    live tv net app
    live tv net apk
    live tv net download




    ReplyDelete