Saturday, November 27, 2010

Which Space Marines?


I have a dilemma. I own nearly 6000 points worth of space marines. 2k (plus a Fellblade) painted in Legion of the Damned colors, 2k+ painted in Black Widows colors (not so happy with them any more) and 2k painted in random colors and/or unpainted. I would like to pick out a SM chapter to paint and stick with. I just cannot make up my mind!

For a long time (since 1995 or so) I have considered doing an Ultramarines army. I love the fluff. I like the colors. I just cannot get past the fact that there are so very many Ultramarine armies out there.

I love the Salamanders. Again, I really like the fluff. The colors are perfect. Unfortunately, with the new codex, there are an awful lot of Vulcan TH/flamer armies around now. Not sure if how "common" an army is should be a deterrent to me or not.

I have taken several shots over the years at designing my own chapter...Moondrakes (bone w/Dark Angel green shoulders), Black Widows (black w/red trim) and "unnamed chapter" (bright orange w/electric blue trim). In the end, I was not happy with any of these. I had 3 full companies in black widows colors at one point.

I am beginning to think that it is not the colors that marines are painted that is bothering me. Perhaps I just don't like the models? Nah, I love the models...just need help deciding what chapter to paint.

Thank you for your input.

2 comments:

  1. It is a hard choice. Consider that once painted, that is an enormous number of models to reflect that you may not entirely like in the final scheme.

    It is the classic temerity, for lack of a better term, prior to setting out on a long journey. Will you like the final scheme? Will the effort you entail be worth the final cost? Will you think half-way through that the journey is too long? Perhaps you enjoy the simple thought of what could be rather than proceeding to make what is. The journey will effect not only the change on the troops, but on the creator.

    All and more are pertinent questions. But only you can be the final arbiter. It is a considerable project to tackle. But nothing beyond your capability.

    And that is what makes thinking about such a choice so entertaining.

    Good journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do what you like. It doesn't matter if other people like them or not - don't avoid something you like just because it's currently popular with someone else. Two thirds of those Sallies players will dump them on ebay when the next codex comes out.

    ReplyDelete